A Chinese construction worker employed by the China Civil Engineering Construction Corporation (CCECC) was violently attacked during an attempted robbery at the company’s Kolofe campsite in the northern region of Malaita Province, on 9 December 2025.
The incident has prompted strong condemnation from the Solomon Islands government, through the Ministry of Infrastructure Development (MID), along with the second Solomon Islands Road and Aviation Project (SIRAP 2) support team.
It was reported that the victim is one of the China Civil Engineering Construction Corporation (CCECC) workers at the Kolofe campsite, in north Malaita.
A statement from the MID said the incident was described as an attempt to rob items from the camp in the early hours of Tuesday morning.
“The victim, a male foreigner, was on his way to the restroom next to the sleeping quarters when he was attacked by these sneaky thieves.
“He tried to defend himself as one of the suspects slashed him with a knife,” the statement said.
It added, the camp security staff were alerted to the noise of the commotion between the victim and the suspects, and attempts to capture them were unsuccessful as they gave chase.
The suspects scaled the camps’ fencing perimeter and dashed off.
The victim was rushed to the Malu’u area health centre, where he received urgent medical treatment.
Royal Solomon Islands Police Force (RSIPF) officers in Malu’u and Auki successfully apprehended one of the suspects this afternoon.
The second suspect is still at large.
“This brutal attack must be condemned in the strongest terms as it tarnishes our country’s image and hinders the projects’ rollout phase.
“This particular worker is part of an international contractor that is here to help improve our road infrastructure. Such violent behavior does not reflect well on the community support we should render towards them,” MID stated.
Community members in the northern region are urged to help police with any information that will lead to the arrest of the second suspect behind this senseless act.
This incident is similar to one that occurred in July this year when a foreign worker employed by China Railway Construction Engineering Group (CRCEG) for the Honiara airport support utility projects was attacked by thieves while responding to a break-in at their yard. Unfortunately, the worker died from the severity of the injuries several days later.
“Again, we call on community members at infrastructure project sites across Malaita and other provinces to refrain from any form of violence and criminal acts as they undermine efforts put towards building our social and economic development and future undertakings,” the statement said.
In the meantime, CCECC is in the final stages of completing the construction of the Kolefe 1 and 2 bridges, which are funded by the World Bank. The two bridges at South Road-Bira and Su’u have also reached 87% physical completion.
The progress so far reflects the government’s commitment to improving connectivity and long-term development across Malaita.
