The tribunal appointed to investigate allegations against suspended Police Commissioner Ian Vaevaso has yet to begin its work, more than a month after its original 30-day reporting deadline.
Attorney-General Gabriel Suri told In-depth Solomons that the Government is now looking for replacements for tribunal chairman Sir Frank Kabui and member James Apaniai, who have both withdrawn from the tribunal.
Suri said finding suitable replacements could take some time.
The two new members will join Principal Magistrate Felix Hollison, who remains on the tribunal.
The delay came despite the Government originally saying the tribunal would complete its work within 30 days. This was later extended to 60 days in a Government gazette published on 26 July.
The tribunal was appointed by Governor-General Sir David Tiva Kapu on June 17 under section 129(5) of the Constitution, following representations from Prime Minister Matthew Wale.
It was tasked with investigating allegations of misconduct against Vaevaso and determining whether he should be removed from office.
The original tribunal was chaired by former Governor-General Sir Frank Kabui, with lawyer James Apaniai and Principal Magistrate Felix Hollison as members.
The 30-day period was expected to expire on July 16, although the Governor-General could extend the deadline after consulting the Prime Minister if more time was needed.
Four Allegations
The tribunal is expected to examine four allegations against Vaevaso.
These include an allegation that he unlawfully interfered with the arrest of Jackson Vaikota in 2019, when he was Deputy Commissioner of Police.
It will also examine an allegation that Vaevaso interfered with a 2024 police investigation into alleged illegal mining activities involving Chinese businessman John Szetu at Mount Vunusa in Central Guadalcanal.
A third allegation concerns his alleged intervention in the destruction of seized ketamine and methamphetamine.
The fourth allegation is whether Vaevaso failed to disclose any of these matters during the recruitment and appointment process that led to him becoming Police Commissioner.
The drug allegation relates in part to a long-running controversy over the handling and disposal of seized drugs.
An earlier investigation by In-depth Solomons found that prosecutors had recommended that Vaevaso be suspended and potentially charged over the alleged improper disposal of drug evidence.
The investigation also raised allegations that Vaevaso intimidated officers who challenged his actions and later misled investigators. Vaevaso denied wrongdoing and said he would cooperate with lawful inquiries.
Vaevaso was appointed Police Commissioner on April 24, 2026, but served less than two months before being suspended.
The Governor-General suspended him on June 17 on the Prime Minister’s advice, pending the tribunal inquiry. The suspension was intended to allow a “free and fair investigation”.
When the allegations first emerged before his appointment, Vaevaso declined to comment on the specific claims because the matter was still under investigation.
“It would be inappropriate and potentially prejudicial for me to comment publicly while such processes remain active and before any formal findings or decisions have been concluded,” he said.
“I wish to assure the public that I continue to cooperate fully with all lawful inquiries and respect the role of independent institutions tasked with examining these matters.”
Following Vaevaso’s suspension, the Government appointed James Aitorea as Acting Police Commissioner.
The Opposition has previously demanded an update on the tribunal, saying Solomon Islanders deserved clarity about the status of the process and the leadership of the police force.